Re: dual boot win2k and debian

I tried running from floppy grub prompt
grub> root (hd0,11)
grub> setup (hd0,0)
at which point it said it successfully updated the MBR and installed
the grub files...  then i rebooted and could get to debian fine, but
rebooted again and when selecting the option for windows 2000 it just
came back to the grub menu.lst display... I tried the command line
option and several variations of the following:
grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
grub> makeactive
grub> chainloader (hd0,0)+1
also tried it without the "makeactive", root (hd0,0) , root (hd0,11),
chainloader +1, chainloader = (hd0,0)+1, chainloader = +1...
(i don't think the "=" is necessary, it isnt necessary in grub options
statements)...
so it looks like the same thing happened as before, grub installed to
the MBR but changed the "filesystem type" or corrupted the Partition
Table or something, I cannot mount the ntfs partition from here
(Debian) whereas when windows2000 is working i can mount the
partition... i will have to run fixboot and fixmbr from the win2k CD to
get back to windows 2000.

Shawn

--- Shawn Lamson <madzimambo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I will try that, but I recall trying it before and getting an error;
> something like "File not found"... I will reread the grub doc and
> reboot, give it a shot, and take note of the results
> (sorry the original post isn't included in this reply)
> Shawn
>
> --- "Michael D. Crawford" <crawford@goingware.com> wrote:
> > You should be able to do what you want.
> >
> > It sounds like you are running grub-install from the Linux command
> > line.  While
> > that ought to work, I recall reading in the grub doc that they
> > recommend that
> > you install it to the boot sector of your drive from the command
> line
> > that you
> > can get inside of grub when you boot off the grub floppy.
> >
> > Doing the install from the grub command line while running grub as
> > normal
> > Linux process definitely doesn't work.
> >
> > Possibly there is some problem that grub has with the geometry of
> > your drive
> > because of your old bios.  There may be something you can say to
> grub
> > to deal
> > with that, but I don't know what it would be.
> >
> > Mike
Hi all -

---including original post----
Sorry if this is not debian specific, let me know if there is a better
place to post this (please don't suggest a RedHat List!)...
I just put in a new HD (80Gigs of which only 32G are used currently b/c
my bios is old) and I put Win2k on the first 15 Gigs; then a Lin Swap
drive of 512Megs; then my Debian install of Sarge on various partitions
after that to consume the rest of the 32Gigs... I use grub as a boot
loader... I can successfully boot to both systems from a single grub
floppy, but when i #grub-install (hd0,0) it writes that boot block and
Win2k won't boot, no matter what options I try... after I use the Win2k
CD to get a recovery console and run both C:\>fixboot and C:\>fixmbr I
can use the floppy to boot back into win2k or debian... Is there a way
I can boot either system without using the floppy (ie; from HD)?
Obviously I would prefer not to have to re-partition, I would rather
use the floppy than re-partition for now... but if I do re-partition am
I correct in thinking that I should reserve a first partition of say 50
Megs to but boot files for all the different OS's on a System?

Thanks for any help -- if you need specifics on my setup let me know.

Shawn Lamson