Ooops Fwd: How do I start a X session on another machine

Begin forwarded message:
OOOooooPPPssss
Beware Select All on OS X. This is only what I meant to say.

The following is a snippet of the ssh log that resulted from a
ssh -vv -X gate
where gate is the server. It is from where gate authenticates the caller
to where the command line is available. There are some earlier debug
entries which indicate that it uses the ssh_config and ~/.ssh/config
entries for gate.

OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090607f
--snip--
debug1: ssh-userauth2 successful: method publickey
debug1: fd 6 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: send channel open 0
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug2: callback start
debug1: ssh_session2_setup: id 0
debug1: channel request 0: pty-req
debug2: x11_get_proto /usr/bin/X11/xauth list :0 2>/dev/null
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug1: channel request 0: x11-req
debug1: channel request 0: shell
debug1: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug2: callback done
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072
--snip--

The moans that come from X apps are as follows

andlin@gate:~$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
andlin@gate:~$ kmail
Aborting. $DISPLAY is not set.
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpected.
andlin@gate:~$ echo .${DISPLAY}.
..
andlin@gate:~$

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by does the server offer X11.
It certainly has X11 installed and running on it, I can
X :1 -indirect gate
and get the chooser. (Thank you Ramin.)

TIA - Andrew