Re: any good mp3 player?

On Saturday 12 October 2002 11:59 pm, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 05:24:05PM -0700, Bill Wohler wrote:
> >   xmms. Plays mp3s, ogg, wav, CDs, talks to esd. I just point it to the
> >   root of my music directory, click on the Random button and let it play
> >   for days. Very nice.
>
> That's what I love about xmms, it's fairly featureful and smart.
> xmms-goodnight is also great:  Get home from work, browse for a while
> and read email, then throw on the goodnight plugin and set the volume
> to about 35% and go to sleep.  About an hour after I enable it, XMMS
> fades out the volume, stops the music, resets the volume to where it
> was before the fade, quits and kills afterstep, logging me out.  If it
> weren't for that, I'd have to use my clock radio to play Portland's
> lackluster music selection on the main stations, or morning news on
> the public ones, which don't seem to start playing music until 10 or so.

A simple program/script can do that. I actually wrote one that did something
like this. I could run it together with mpg123 from cron to gradually
_increase_ the volume and wake me up in the morning.

The idea is that you write

"pcm:%d:%d:P\nline:42:42:P\nmic:0:0:R\ncd:0:0:P\nmix:0:0:P\nigain:0:0:P\n"

to a temp file, where both %d's stand for volume (0-100), and \n's are
new-line characters; and then run

"aumix -L -f %s > /dev/null"

where %s stands for that temp file name.

You can do this occasionally to get the effect of gradually increasing or
decreasing sound. This can be done while XMMS or mpg123 are playing.

Cheers,
Oleg

P.S. Don't ask me to describe this in words, but there is something very
unpleasant about the file opening widget in XMMS.