Re: Kernel Panic was: System is too Big; son of make menuconfig

Michael Olds wrote:

> OK, now I've done it!
>
> I followed the instructions below and everything seemed to go without
> problems. I installed the new kernel package also without problems (it did
> seem to go very fast?) and then made a floppy disk and then rebooted to end
> up on a frozen screen ending with this message:
>
> ...root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device "307" or 03:07
> Please append a correct "Root=" boot option
> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root FS on 03:07
>
> To what do I append the correct "Root="? (I believe this should be
> Root=/dev/hda7 (the root partition?), and how? ctrl+alt+del does not start
> reboot

> It seems you are using the normal way to build the kernel (make
> clean, make dep, make bzImage)
> Try to use the debian-tools.  A short description:
> Install packeages bin86, libc-dev, debian-utils, make, bzip2 and
> kernel-package
> Then copy the config-file to your kernel-sources and run make
> menuconfig. Edit the options in your way.
> Then run "make-kpkg clean" in /usr/src/linux and then "make-kpkg
> -revision=<SOMETHING> kernel_image". If this works without errors
> you can find a new kernel... .deb in /usr/src. Install this with
> "dpkg -i kernel... .deb" This should work.

Debian comes with lilo.conf set for initrd boot, so you should
have used:
  make-kpkg --revision=<SOMETHING> --initrd kernel_image"

When booting, if you pass the lilo option: noinitrd  then you
might get a successful boot. If not, you can get into your system
by booting off a debian rescue floppy that you can download from
the debian site.