Re: The Real Problem With Debian

On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 16:20, Klaus Imgrund wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 16:06:25 -0400
> Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 at 3:48pm, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> >
> > :> From: Edward Guldemond <thedebategod@yifan.net>
> > :
> > :> ....  Linux is not that hard to
> > :> configure, so long as you RTFM.
> > :
> > :_The_ manual?
> > :
> > :Maybe we should stop referring to things that don't exist.  Yes, much
> > :documentation does exist, but implying that there's a manual
> > organized:in a way that users can find what they need and that
> > complaining users :simply haven't read it is a little disingenuous.
> >
> > http://www.tldp.org/
> >
> > _The_ Linux Documentation Project may not be a single manual, but if
> > you can't find what you're looking for there, you're either not
> > looking or you have a very idiosyncratic need which would probably not
> > be satisfied whatever OS you're using.
> >
> > Patrick
> >
> > --
> Thank you very much,
>
> but the doc's there are as outdated as my grandma - and she was put to
> rest a while ago. Don't get me wrong - I like linux a lot but the doc's
> suck sometimes. I had a problem one time with a cd-burner.
> Now - the site you mention tells you a lot of stuff that is about:
> -3 years outdated and
> -totally incomprehensible
>
> I really appreciate that the good guys of linux make an effort to
> document their software and put up manuals - BUT there is a lot of
> outdated stuff out there that is no help to anybody at all so pls. stop
> with this RTFM - stuff.
>
> Prost,
>
> Klaus

I'd argue that the docs are more complete and accessable (which is the
more important point - Windows Help references never seem to *actually*
answer the question I have, and what they do say stops short of
addressing any problems - it just touches on the basic configuration)
for Linux. They just, as a rule, aren't written for newbies, but for
system administrators and/or programmers on the experience that
multi-user servers generally are managed by sysadmins. That all said,
there are also HOWTOs and guides directed to those putting together
working Linux platforms without extensive computer experience.

It is just that with Linux, you can't solve problems without learning in
the process.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org