Re: signed emails (like this one ;p)

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 07:48:12AM -0500, Justin Ryan wrote:
> Hiya all..
>
> I'm using Evolution 1.0.8 on sid and have a problem dealing with signed
> messages..  I had this all working a while back with no problems and as
> far as I can tell, it's set up the same way (generated a key with gpg
> --gen-key and told Evolution to use it).
>
> It seems to be signing messsages correctly, but when I try to view the
> signature on anyone's messages, I get an error "public key not found".

You need to tell gpg to automatically download other people's keys from
the public keyservers wwwkeys.pgp.net et al.  Add these lines to your
~/.gnupg/options:
keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net
keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve

And GnuPG should start downloading keys as it needs them.

> The error is slightly different when I try it on my own messages, here
> is what it says:
>
> for other people's signatures:
>
> gpg: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
> gpg: armor header: Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org
> gpg: Signature made Mon Oct  7 09:24:40 2002 CDT using DSA key ID
> 720D3195
> gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found

I'm fairly sure this is because you don't have a copy of their key
around to verify against.  The above lines will download keys if you
don't already have them, hopefully fixing this.

> for my own message:
>
> gpg: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)
> gpg: Signature made Thu Oct 10 16:51:28 2002 CDT using DSA key ID
> DD740AED
> gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found

No idea about this.  Presumably your keyring contains at least your own
key, but...

-rob