Re: wheel mouse (revisisted)

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 12:03:18 +0100, Keith O'Connell wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am aware that this is/must-be a FAQ, but I keep getting conflicting or incomplete answers from web searches.
>
>I want to run an old/early MS wheel mouse on a Debian Woody system. Could someone point me at an URL they have found gave them correct
information as to how to set this up under X so the wheel and all three buttons work

>I am reading the you use/don't use imwheel, that you set/don't set the X, Y and Z axis, that you use Intellimouse, PS/2 ImPS/2 and/or MouseMan
protocols. I know it cant all be right

>I would be happy to stay with my 3 button Logitech, but my wife wants access to windows and the wheel mouse, so I guess it is just easier in the long run
to get her wheel mouse to work for me under X.

>I am probably not seeing the wood for the trees, or getting half answers, but I seem to be getting a non-moving cursor, or one that bolts to the edge of the
screen and stays there. It is unquestionably me being dense, but if I could just be referred to a *complete* explanation, I would be so grateful.

>What I have at the moment is;
>
>		Section "InputDevice"
>		    Identifier  "Mouse1"
>		    Driver      "mouse"
>		    Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>		    Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>		    Option      "Buttons" "5"
>		    Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>		EndSection

Keith I had exactly the same problem with a Logitech optical wheel mouse
and the same settings you have.

No matter what I did the mouse would jump back to the lower left corner
at the slightest backward movement and mouse clicks were very flakey.

First I found out that a _ball_ wheel mouse was rock solid.

But then I changed the line in XF86Config-4 from
Option   "Protocol"    "imps2"
Option   "Protocol"     "MouseManPlusPS/2"
and it's been fine ever since.

I have read some articles about the fact that some mice are just plain flakey
and you have to play around with other drivers other than the one that _should_ work.
Other articles have said that MouseManPlusPS/2 frequently works to correct
these problems.

I don't think capitization matters in XF86Config-4 but my spelling above is exactly
what works in my machine.

Hope this helps - it was quite a frustrating problem for me.

Larry Alkoff

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX