Re: Kernel Panic was: System is too Big; son of make menuconfig

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 10:05:31AM -0700, Michael Olds wrote:
> OK, now I've done it!
>
> I followed the instructions below and everything seemed to go without
> problems. I installed the new kernel package also without problems (it did
> seem to go very fast?) and then made a floppy disk and then rebooted to end
> up on a frozen screen ending with this message:
>
> ...root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device "307" or 03:07
> Please append a correct "Root=" boot option
> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root FS on 03:07

Your probably have not configure the kernel properly for your root
file system. Check /usr/src/linux/.config and make sure you have these
settings:

# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD is not set
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_[Whatever_your_root_file_system_is]_FS=y

If you have the IDE and root file system configure as modules, you
will need to use an initrd.img to boot.

--
Jerome