RE: xmms doesn't work

>On 11/10/02 mun did speaketh:
> however xmms starts, but when i open mp3 and do Play, xmms goes hang.
>>What output plugin are you using?
>>Mike

mmmm I also had (and still get) a similar error message.  I also had xmms
hanging when I went to go play the mp3 (even though the display showed the
song as loaded in the playlist).  The odd thing in my case is i have the kde
arts soundserver set to start up.  But my output plugin is the standard oss.
I'd noticed that sound "wouldn't" play.  One night a week ago I left it, as
I was distracted by a mate on IRC.  After 60 seconds or so it started
playing the queued music.  I immediately stopped it, started it up again and
tested it again.  Lo and behold it did it again, starting playing music
after 60 seconds or so.  I lived with that work around for 2 nights and then
said to myself "stuff it Dave, let's check some of the kde settings out".

A bit of delving found a option in sound along the lines of "mute for 60
secs..." or something similar (hey i'm in windows atm and I can't remember
the exact name).  That was ticked.  I unticked it, tried xmms again, and hey
presto, worked straight away.

Try this Zeus:

cat dmesg | grep oss

See if it brings back a line that has something like -d 60 in it (or
something similar).  If it does i'd be strongly suspicious that you're
having the same issue that I had (just didn't let it wait the 60 seconds).
Go check out the kde sound details in control panel if that's the case and
fix :-)

Now i'm not sure what output plugin is being used and if I understand
correctly, oss plugin in xmms and the arts server startup in kde should
conflict with each other...mmmm

On another note, I am not able to download xmmsarts as it requires the usage
of a package that comes with kde 2.2.2 (hence apt wants to remove kde
3.0.3).  I have a similar install issue with an irc client named kvirc.

Hope this helps,

Dave