Re: libc6 problems

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You need to be more clear on your system configuration (distribution,
> preferences, ...)  but let bme try help you.

Sorry. It's a woody machine, upgraded when woody was testing.  Nothing all
that special about it; it's got a custom-compiled kernel 2.4.18.

>  $ apt-cache policy libc6
> libc6:
>   Installed: 2.2.5-14.3
>   Candidate: 2.2.5-14.3
>   Version Table:
>      2.2.5-15 0
>          70 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
>  *** 2.2.5-14.3 0
>         800 http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      2.2.5-11.2 0
>         500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
>      2.2.5-6 0
>         500 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages

Mine says:
perrin:/tmp# apt-cache policy libc6
libc6:
  Installed: 2.2.4-5
  Candidate: (none)
  Package Pin: (not found)
  Version Table:
     2.2.5-11.2 1001
        500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
     2.2.5-6 1001
        500 http://distro.ibiblio.org stable/main Packages
        500 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages
 *** 2.2.4-5 1001
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> You are upgrading from potato to woody.  "apt-get dist-upgrade" was what
> is needed but this is known not to be the best way (despite some others
> posted).

Actually I'm not (or at least not currently trying to).  The machine was
upgraded using apt-get dist-upgrade back in December, 2001.

> Installmanual and my "Debian Reference" recommend to use "dselect for
> these occasion.  Just trust us :-)
>
> # dselect update
> # dselect select
>  ... play with selection
> # dselect install

Something is clearly messed up on this machine. When I do this:

- libc6 shows only the 2.2.4-5 available:
 *** Req base     libc6        2.2.4-5     2.2.4-5     GNU C

- I can't exit select without encountering a host of unresolved
dependencies; I end up having to use Q to get out.

- dselect install then gives:
perrin:/tmp# dselect install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  abiword abiword-common abiword-gtk ascd asmixer bibview cdrtoaster
  communicator communicator-base-477 communicator-smotif-477 diploma
dpsclient
  dvi2ps-fontdata-bsr dvidvi fortify fortify-linux-x86 fvwm2 fvwmconf
  gs-aladdin-manual gv html2ps jadetex jdk1.1 kivio koffice koshell
  labelnation lib-fop-java lib-xt-java libltdl0-dev libmagick4g-lzw
libplot
  libwmf0 memprof mrproject mswordview netscape-base-4 netscape-base-477
  netscape-java-477 octave-plplot oleo perlmagick plotutils plplot
plplot-doc
  plplot-tcl python-ldap task-tcltk tdtd tk8.0 tk8.2 winesetuptk xlib6
xmix
  xproxy xspread xtranslate
  esound-clients fam fvwm-icons gimpprint-locales gnupg-doc imlib-progs
  ipmasqadm iptables jpilot-plugins kernel-image-2.4.18-686 kghostview
  libhtml-format-perl libltdl3-dev libnet-ph-perl libnet-snpp-perl
libnss-db
  libstdc++3 mtr-tiny python-egenix-mxdatetime python-newt
  python2.1-egenix-mxdatetime python2.1-egenix-mxtools texi2html
  util-linux-locales vacation x-ttcidfont-conf
0 packages upgraded, 26 newly installed, 57 to remove and 3  not upgraded.
Need to get 11.9MB of archives. After unpacking 44.7MB will be freed.

Since I definitely *don't* want to remove all those packages, I abort at
that point.

Clearly I have done something wrong here. Is there an easy way to "clean
up"?

Thanks.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu