Re: ifup/ifdown are not idempotent

Christian Jaeger <christian.jaeger@sl.ethz.ch> writes:

> BTW, two other things I'm wondering about ifup/down:
>
> - when an interface is really down (as seen with ifconfig), why does
> ifup refuse it's operation saying "device already configured"? It
> could determine that

     Sometimes ifdown will bring an interface down, but will not make
the necessary changes in /etc/network/ifstate.  ifup will then return
"device already configured" as you have noted.  (I have not
experimented enough to detail the circumstances in which this occurs.)

     In thus case you can issue "ifdown --force <iface>, the rerun
ifup.

     From man ifup:

       --force
              Force de/configuration of interface.