Re: ifup/ifdown are not idempotent

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 11:58:13AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> check this series of commands:

Are you sure there's not an old /etc/init.d/network or other startup
script that brings the interface up initially using ifconfig?

In my experience, when ifup brings up an interface, ifdown brings it
down.

Does your /etc/network/interfaces list anything else to do when the
interface is brought up/down that might be causing the messages?  On
one of our boxes, I'd forgotten that an interface entry ran a firewall
script before coming up; moving the firewall script made it so ifup
didn't bring the interface up at all.  That doesn't appear to be your
problem, but a long-forgotten entry in one of those scripts can cause
some puzzling behavior.

--Pete