Re: Anyone??? HP USB DVD+RW for Woody

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 06:54:58AM -0700, Jack Pistachio wrote:
> I need to get an HP DVD+RW USB drive working under debian
> for research (we write tons of data to DVD disks).  Haven't
> had any luck yet (or any response from the forum).  My USB,
> SCSI emu, and CD_ROM setup is fine since I have a working
> USB ZIP drive and IDE CD-RW.  Supposedly, from the USB
> HOWTO the Mass Strorage device support should also work for
> external DVD drives, but I have nothing listed in
> /proc/bus/usb/devices for the HP drive.  Its never detected
> on the bus.  Anyone have any success getting this drive to
> work?  How about any USB 2.0 device?  How about any
> external DVD or DVD+RW/CD+RW?
> Thanks,
> jackp

In 2.4.19 usb 2.0 is supported for cards using the NEC usb 2.0
chipset. This includes most of the cheap aftermarket cards.  You need
to use the ehci driver (CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD). With my archos recorder
20 I get improved speed over usb 1.1, but nowhere near the specified
maximum. I suspect that this is due to a slow cpu (K6-350) rather than
the USB bus.

HTH
dt

--
Dave Thayer           | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about
Denver, Colorado USA  | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all