XF86 4.2.1 + Radeon == No valid mode found for this DFP/LCD

[debian-x says it's about packaging... so I am posting here...]

I've been experiencing major problems with X ever since the 4.2.1
upgrade. This particular problem is on a laptop with a Radeon Mobility
M6 LY Video card running a custom 2.4.19+grsecurity kernel with the
'radeon' kernel module loaded. 'agpgart' is compiled into the kernel.

I am almost sure this has been discussed in the past, but I could not
find it in the archives. Thus I appreciate if you point me to a link
to prevent duplicate discussion.

The problem is here in the logs:

  (WW) RADEON(0): Mode 1280x1024 is out of range.
  Valid mode should be between 640x480-640x480
  (EE) RADEON(0): No valid mode found for this DFP/LCD

X doesn't start until I enable the 640x480 mode (which is usually not
even included in XF86Config-4 -- no way I could work that way.
The configuration was not changed since X 4.1.0, where everything
worked.

The result is that I can start X at 640x480 (WOW, BIG LETTERS) but at
no other resolution, not even 800x600.

I can start into 1280x1024 when I use the "vesa" driver instead of the
native "radeon" driver, but then I loose a lot of performance, which
I don't want.

Do you have any idea on how this can be repaired?

Thanks!

scintillation is not always identification for an auric substance.