Kernel 2.4 and ISA PnP Questions

Hi,

I have an old Cyrix 686 on Pentium Mainboard with Award BIOS which supports ISA PnP. With the 2.2 kernel, I had to use a DOS utility to set the IRQs, DMAs etc on two BocaLan ethernet cards so the lance module would find them. These are PnP cards so I turned off PnP and set the IRQs and DMAs as suggested by the software. I want to use the 2.4 kernel for iptables so I can configure this box as a firewall.

Setup:
lance io=0x300,0x320

dmesg:
eth0: PCnet/ISA+ 79C961 at 0x300, 00 c0 6d 14 88 94 assigned IRQ 3, assigned DMA 5.
lance.c:v1.15ac 1999/11/13 dplatt@3do.com, becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
eth1: PCnet/ISA+ 79C961 at 0x320, 00 c0 6d 14 87 f3 assigned IRQ 9, assigned DMA 6.

Anytime I tried to bring up the eth1, (ifup eth1) the system gave me the following error continually forcing a hard reboot.

eth1: bus master arbitration failure. status 8af2.

I decided to try irqtune with no luck. I then decided to try the isa-pnp module which I loaded but this did not help either.

dmesg:
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: unexpected or unknown tag type 0x0 for logical device 0 (device 1), ignored
isapnp: checksum for device 1 is not valid (0x59)
isapnp: Card 'BOCALANcard TP'
isapnp: Card 'BOCALANcard TP'
isapnp: 2 Plug & Play cards detected total

Does anybody know what could be causing these errors? The two lan cards are the only two ISA cards in the box.

I finally looked at the BIOS settings and turned on all the IRQs and this allowed the eth1 card to come up. Don't know why some were off.

Anyway, since everything is working there really is no reason to change anything but maybe the system would run faster if I turned on the PnP function of the LAN cards and let isa-pnp do it's thing.

If I used PnP would the lance module figure things out or would I have to still give it "io" parameters?

Any insight into isa-pnp and my setup would be much appreciated.

Eric