cdparanoia & cdrom as user

I have a problem on a new installation trying to use abcde or XMMS.  It
seems that cdparanoia cannot access cdrom as user but can as root.  I'm
baffled because I can mount a data cdrom OK.  My device is a scsi CDRW.
I installed with 2.4.18bf2.4 and network install.

dale@meridian:~$ cdparanoia 1 1.wav

(snip)

/dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.  By default,
cdparanoia stops searching for an accessible drive here.
Consider using -sv to force a more complete autosense
of the machine.

More information about /dev/cdrom:
Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
   Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
        /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
   Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
	No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd0

dale@meridian:~$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     cdrom    9 Oct  6 10:38 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0

dale@meridian:~$ ls -l /dev/scd0
brwxrwxrwx    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/scd0

dale@meridian:~$ groups dale
dale : dale disk cdrom audio

What am I missing?