Re: Nothing prints anymore!

This one time, at band camp, Marc Shapiro said:
> > Check under /var/log - there's lpr.log, and lprng may write to syslog or
> > additional ones as well.  I'm not sure, since I use CUPS here.
>
> /var/log/lpr has a size of 0
>
> > If so, try ps ax - do you see an lpr(ng) process?  If not, it's not
> > running.  If it is, it may be a network problem (even though the network
> > is only localhost).
>
> lpd (the print daemon) is listed as Sleeping
>
> > Try `sh -v /etc/init.d/lpr(ng) restart` - do you see any error messages
> > from that?
>
> No errors.  The daemon is restarted with a new process, but still
> nothing is printing.
>
> > Do you have a firewall on this box, perhaps accidentally denying
> > requests to lprng?
>
> Nothing but ipchains to handle one dial-up account and two boxes.
>
> > Can you echo to the printer (`echo "hello\n" > /dev/lp0` or wherever the
> > printer is attached)?  If taht works, it's at least not a kernel level
> > problem.
>
> Still nothing.
>
> > Try to dig through your logs, configs (/etc/printcap) and write back
> > with any error messages you can find.
>
> I don't see any errors in syslog pertaining to lpd

What is the ouput of lsmod?

Try `dmesg | less` - look for printer (not lpr) related output,
something like:

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,EPP]
parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 1600C
parport_pc: Via 686A parallel port: io=0x378
lp0: using parport0 (polling).

Do you see anything like this?  If you can't even echo to it, it may be
a kernel level problem.

HTH,
Steve
--
Fame is a vapor; popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is
oblivion.