Re: I accidentally deleted the root superuser How to reinstall

* John Foster (jfoster@augustmail.com) [021009 15:26]:
> First off the search facility does not seem to be working at Debian.org
> just now, so I could not check there...I did check the mail archives but
> they also seem to be handicapped. Oh Well!
> Here's the problem...
> I wanted to try some new installation techniques doing them completely
> off the internet. Yes it is possible :-) I also wanted to install the
> new (unstable) system to an ext3 file structure. Everything went
> according to plan until I started to reboot from the newly installed
> disk. The kernel loaded O.K to the console screen but then I could not
> log in as root. I also noticed the the system hostname seemed incorrect.
> I can deal with the hostname but the root login problem has me stumped.
> I removed and added a new user from my host system using chroot and
> mounting the new file system. I then 'very brightly' (read as brain
> fart) decided to do the same with root....and that really screwed it. I
> welcome any suggestions as to how to get the root superuser
> reinstalled.

Yeah, just do what you did to remove them in reverse ;-)

Seriously, if you have another means of booting, mounting, and editing
the password file (which you demonstrated that you do) just do it again
and add the following line back in:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

If you don't know the root password, this is also a good time to reset
it, by blanking it out in /etc/shadow.

good times,
Vineet
--