Re: Windows Domains? (was: getting a 3C905B network card

--- Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> Nonetheless, that shouldn't be an issue. Your Windows side should be
> unaffected by anything you do on the Linux side, and your Linux side
> does not need to play with the Domain, inasmuch as you can set it up
> let you log in locally, without authenticating through a centralized
> server. Of course, this means if you go to your neighbor's Linux box,
>
> you won't be able to log in there unless he has set you up to do so,
> whereas you could log into his Windows box, because he doesn't
> control
> that; the sys admins (via the domain) control it.

Kent,

Thanks very much for the explanation of how that works.  I think that
my problem happened because when I restarted the machine and booted
into Linux, I manually assigned myself a static IP address that had
been formerly provided for me by DHCP.

So what I'm wondering is whether or not I will be able to use DHCP in
Linux without Linux talking to the Domain Controllers.  IOW, what I am
wondering is whether or not the machine will still be assigned a
dynamic IP when it is booted into Linux.  In Linux, I could not access
the network until I did assign myself a static IP, which is possibly
what caused the problem, but this may be because I didn't set up the
right services to allow my Linux box to be assigned a dynamic IP.

So, in short, I won't override DHCP again, because I'm afraid that's
what fudged up my network connection, keeping me from logging into the
box via the domain.

> Before trying it, add yourself a local account on the Windows box
> (assuming you're an Admin on the local box, and add your local
> account
> to the local Administrators group), so that if it does happen again,
> you
> can log in locally, bypassing the domain authentication.

Good idea.  I didn't know I could do this.

> Then bring
> up a
> command prompt, and type "ipconfig" to see what your current IP
> settings
> are. If necessary, "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew"
> should renew your DHCP settings. (Depending on your version of
> Windows,
> it might be "winipcfg" instead of "ipconfig".)

So then, what should I do from there?  That's exactly what I did
(except the /release /renew part) in the first place, but when I
statically assigned myself that IP in Linux by writing it to
/etc/network/interfaces, I had the problem.

Thanks again for the explanations of how this works.  I look forward to
solving this problem.

Erik