Re: X with NVidia: "(EE) No devices detected"

Isaac,

I had this exact same problem that you are having yesterday. It works when you install from the tarballs the first time, but after rebooting, it doesn't work anymore.

Just make sure that NVdriver is in the /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/video directory, and make sure that NVdrier is there, and make sure that NVdriver is listed in your /etc/modules file.

Now as long as you did the

tar zxvf NVIDIA_kernel....
cd NVIDIA_kernel...
make install
cd ..
tar zxvf NVIDIA_GLX...
cd NVIDIA_GLX...
make install
cd ..
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

On the dpkg-reconfigure step, make sure to de-select the dri and GLcore drivers, and make sure glx is selected. Also, when asked if you want the dri section created for you, select "NO"! Also, just make sure you say "NO" when asked about a framebuffer. And don't forget to select "nvidia" as your driver, instead of "nv".

Then check /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/video directory, and make sure that NVdriver is listed in your /etc/modules file.

Having NVdriver in your /etc/modules file is basically just tells debian to run "insmod NVdriver" on boot. So if you want, just try typing insmod NVdriver right now, and see if that fixes things.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

--
David Grant
M.A.Sc. Candidate

Re: X with NVidia: "(EE) No devices detected"