Re: [GENERAL] odbc with debian woody/postgres

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 08:56:49AM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:22:38AM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> > local        all                                           trust
> > host         all         127.0.0.1     255.0.0.0           ident
>
> Here you tell PostgreSQL to use ident.

hmm, ok, I'll take out that line -- though I would have thought
that, since I'm connecting from localhost, this wouldn't be an issue.

> Sorry I don't fully understand that. You define one ODBC conenction for
> exactly one database, so what are you looking for?

that's the reply I was looking for -- I didn't undersetand exactly how
 ODBC works.

I can't for the life of me get postgresql to start and stop.  running
/etc/init.d/postgresql stop gets me this:

Stopping PostgreSQL database: postmaster
/etc/init.d/postgresql: start-stop-daemon: command not found

while running
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_ctl-D /var/lib/postgres/data stop
gives the following:

pg_ctl: cannot find /var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid
Is postmaster running?

I guess I'm missing something important, but it's not evident what
when I read the docs.  any help is appreciated!  thanks,