Re: NFS server slow when more clients access it

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, nate wrote:

> Lukas Kubin said:
> >
> > I'm having troubles with the speed of nfs-user-server, when the number of
> > computers booting root system from it exceeds the approximate number of
> > 5--7. The lower number is quite fast. The boot procedure of Debian "base"
> > then takes about 15 to 20 minutes (tested for 17 computers booting
> > together). Is it a feature of NFS or is something going wrong?
> >
> > Details:
> > 1. I boot kernel from floppy
> > 2. this is the lilo's append:
> > "rw nfsroot=CORRECT_IP_ADDRESS:/home/nfsroot,rsize=8192,wsize=8192
> > ip=::::::'dhcp'"
> > 3. The system init executes just the items in rcS of Debian base system
> > 4. I can't use the nfs-kernel-server since I couldn't access the
> > server's mounted drives when tried it
>

> any particular reason  your using nfs-user-server over nfs-kernel-server?
> just curious is all.

Yes -- point #4 above. When I use the kernel server then the client can't
see directories into that was mounted something on the server. Let's say
I've mounted /dev/sdb1 as /home on the server. Then I can see the content
of /home on the server but not on the client.

> What kernel(on both client & server)?

2.4.18 on server and 2.4.19 to boot the client.