Re: Mounting CD-R

On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 08:13:59 +0200
DSC Siltec <dscpubl@siltec.lt> wrote:

> Hi,  I got a new IDE CD-R, and swapped out my old CD.  As of this
> point, I am having trouble mounting it from Linux (Win98 works).  I
> have Woody.
>
> In my box, I have on the first cable:
> DEV HDA1:  Win98
> DEV CD-R
> On the second cable:
> DEV HDC2:  Linux boot (loadlin)
> DEV C1,C3-C5:  Linux partitions
>
> Presumably, that means that the CD-R might be HDB1
>
> In my fstab, I have
>
> /dev/cdrom   /cdrom  iso9660 defaults, ro, user, noauto
>
> When I try "mount  /dev/cdrom" I get "special device cdrom does not
> exist".
>
> When I try "mount -t iso9660{or auto} /dev/hdb1 /mycdr
> I get "device hdb1:  unknown device"
>
> Anyone know what I have to do here?

CD's aren't "partitioned" try this:

mount -t iso9660{or auto} /dev/hdb /cdrom

For your fstab entry to work you can either use

/dev/hdb   /cdrom  iso9660 defaults, ro, user, noauto

or do a "ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/cdrom" as root  would probably be best as
many different programs will be looking for /dev/cdrom.

--
gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)