Re: Shutting down X

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 00:46, lameth wrote:
> How do you shut X-windows down and get to the command prompt?
> Depending on the response I get from another post I'm thinking of
> upgrading the drivers for my video card and I'm sure it wouldn't be a
> bad idea to turn X off while I do so.

I'm sure that this isn't the right way to go about this, but since I
rely on GDM to start my X sessions, I just switch to a regular tty
screen and kill off gdm-binary. If you're not running gdm I'd imagine
you could just kill off XFree86 with the same result. Be warned, I'm
SURE that there is a cleaner way to do this, I'm just not sure what it
is. :)

But as far as upgrading your video drivers is concerned, I'd think that
upgrading them and then restarting X via C-A-Backspace would work just
fine. I roll my own kernel and recompile the driver modules by hand so I
always have to reboot. But assuming that you're just going to use
precompiled modules, just restarting X via the above key sequence should
be enough. But IANA X Expert. :)

-Alex