Re: simple shell scripting question

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 05:44:53PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> command line, far as I can tell.  so: is there a way to pass these
> instructions on to ftp from a shell script?  I imagine this must be a

The first thing I'd suggest is using one of the script-oriented FTP
tools that was designed to work this way, like "ncftpput". But to answer
your general question, there's a shell construct called a "here script".
It works like this:

command_needing_input <<EOF
input 1
input 2
EOF

You can actually do this at the command line if you want to try it out.

--
Michael Heironimus