Re: Accessing USB Camera pics

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 15:03, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Alan Chandler wrote:
>
> > As a result of what you have done, you should see the contents of your
> > camera on /etc/sda1 (unless you already have scsi devices when it may
> > be something different.
>
> Only if the camera supports USB Mass Storage or is supported by some
> other Linux kernel module, and he has the necessary kernel modules
> loaded. Neither of these has been established.

Both he and I are running STV680 based cameras, which after much banging
through the USB Digital Camera HOWTO, are not compatible with the USB
Mass Storage method. The only thing I've found to work with my camera is
pencam2, which isn't yet available as a deb, must be run as root, and
must be run *without* the STV680 module installed (NB. my
/etc/usbmgr/usbmgr.conf file had to be editted to add the line for the
vendor and product number - interestingly, the same one. Wouldn't
perchance be a Cool-iCam, would it?) The source is available at:

http://stv0680-usb.sourceforge.net/pencam2-0.65.tar.gz

and with the inclusion of the libusb-dev package, compiles cleanly.
Pencam2 is text-only so far. Unfortunately, I haven't found STV680
support in anything else to the extent that would permit the use of the
camera as anything semi-intelligent - while zapping, xawtv and
GnomeMeeting will take a feed from it, the camera crashes after 20
images (its normal capacity) and take down all usb devices. Restarting
usbmgr doesn't help. At least for this model, its driver needs to clear
the memory between each separate frame - sometime soon I hope to have
the time to write and submit that patch.