Too many open files

Hi,

It 's the third time my debian is complaining, just
after booting, with a "too many open files", creating
each time many files in my home directory I log to.
Searching in Google, some files in /proc/sys/fs enable
to change this behaviour.

-Why do I have this message ? : just after logging, I'm
surprised there are so many open files ( file-max reports
8192 ) : apache, ftp server, exim, fetchmail, samba and
classic services are the main things that are running.

-How do I solve this ? Echoing a different max number ?
is it a definitive solution (how about the next boot) ?

thanks

Fred