Re: Accessing USB Camera pics

DSC Siltec wrote:

> Okay, I have Debian, Woody, Hotplug, USB, and a cheap junk USB camera.
>
> How do I access my pics?  I'd really like three answers:
>   (1) How to access them directly as files, if possible
>   (2) Best way to download them as pictures, and save them
>   (3) How to create nice compressed .mpgs from it (my camera supports 8
> seconds of movie, high res, 32 seconds low res.).

1 and 2 are your current issue. Let's not worry about 3 until you have
a way of getting the pictures off the camera and into your computer.

> Okay, got my USB up and running:  hotplug installs via dselect, and
> will put a directory in /proc/bus/usb.
>

> I even found that, having created a "/camera" directory I can mount it
> manually to camera via
>
> mount -t usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb /camera

This can't be right. You don't mount your USB bus as a filesystem. You
might mount a particular USB device (which would be some device node
under /proc/bus/usb, or possibly somewhere else due to emulation
performed by the device's driver), but not the bus itself.

> Devices is a file that contains the following:

Devices is a virtual file created by the USB subsystem that describes
the USB devices currently connected to your machine. The interesting part
of your devices file is the following:

> T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=4 Spd=12 MxCh=0
> D:  Ver=1.10 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=8 #Cfgs=1
> P:  Vendor=0553  ProdID=0202 Rev=0.00
> S:  Manufacturer=STMicroelectronics
> S:  Product =USB Dual-mode Camera
> C:* #Ifs=1 Cfg#=1 Atr=a0 MxPwr = 70mA
> I:  If#=0 Alt=1 #EPs=1 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
> E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=54 Ivl=0ms

This describes what the system knows about your camera. The two S: lines
show that the device describes itself as an STMicroelectronics USB
Dual-mode Camera. The end of the I: line says Driver=(none), which means
that your computer doesn't have a driver for that camera, or doesn't
know what driver to use for it.

A simple Google search for information on this camera found this page:

    http://stv0680-usb.sourceforge.net

which is all about Linux support for this model of camera.

Craig