Re: UnitedLinux and Debian

On Monday 07 October 2002 07:41, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am concerned about the future of UnitedLinux (UL). The idea of
> Conectiva,
> SuSe, Caldera and TurboLinux is to define new standards trough UL. How
> this will affect the rest of the Linux world, the non commercial one?
> Will the distributions which not adopt the UL standards become more and
> more unpopular? How UL will affect the impact of Debian in the
> community?
>
> TIA!
>
> Marcelo

United Linux does not make standards for the Linux community, the Free
Standards Group does via things like the LSB.  United Linux is simply (yes,
oversimplification to follow) about a group of companies working together to
reduce cost and increase profits.  If this affects us it is because they may
start to erode Red Hat's dominance.