OpenSSL suggested version

On the Apache web site, it recommends at least version 0.9.6e of OpenSSL
and Apache-SSL HTTP Server version 1.3.27 or later.

But Debian only has Apache-SSSL 1.3.26 and OpenSSL 0.9.6c in stable, and
OpenSSL 0.9.6g in testing.

While I'm surprised that Debian doesn't have the absolute latest on
something this important, I'm not sure how to upgrade this manually
other than by downloading the OpenSSL package and using dpkg and by
downloading the Apache source and manually compiling it.  Also, how
can I tell if it would break something if I manually installed the
0.9.6g OpenSSL package?