Re: Performance needed for an Internet gateway

also sprach Jamin W. Collins <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> [2002.10.06.1655 +0200]:
> > For a home LAN, I wouldn't be surprised if a 386DX40 with adequate
> > RAM would be adequate.
>
> If I could lay my hands on a functional one for a reasonable price I'd
> give it a whirl. =)

a 386-25 with 32 Mb RAM play NATting firewall and DNS/DHCP server on
my parents' home lan. it doesn't even sweat, but it's 10Mbps only...

"the so-called lessons of history are for the most part
 the rationalizations of the victors.
 history is written by the survivors."
                                                         -- max lerner