Debian3.0 install - trouble with ppp

Hello,

I just installed Deb3.0 - attempting to migrate from Mandrake8.0 - so far
it's amazing!
I can't get connected via dialup to the net.  I'm used to kppp, which was
easy.  Now it dials in and immediately disconnects with an Error1 msg,
saying that the Remote Host didn't send the right password or something.
When I use kppp as root, it connects (after I commented out the "auth"
line in /etc/ppp/options, but it won't resolve any hosts, so I can't get
to any webpages or check email via pop.
When connected as root, my local IP is listed as 216.9.74.11, and the
remote is listed as 216.9.92.198  -  it should be 198.252.201.5.  I tried
creating a blank /etc/resolv.conf file, and also tried removing the diald
package (I read it somewhere..), all with no luck.  As user I can't
connect at all, as root I can connect but DNS won't resolve.
When I first installed, I put in my ISP info and it connected successfully
during the install process, as another dpkg source.  From there I was able
to start Mozilla and surf with no problem.  But when pppd died, so did my
hopes of ever getting back on the net again in my life (possibly a good
thing?).
I've been reading and trying this thing for hours - any clues or pointers
would be greatly appreciated.  I saw an error msg which mentioned
something about the "default route" - I going to read up on that, and also
how to connect to the net without using kppp, and in the meanwhile
hopefully someone can send me another pointer also.
Thanks much,

Chip
ncrose@pinn.net