Re: Installing a SCSI Tape-Drive to an Existing Woody System

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 06:18:19PM +0000, Doug MacFarlane wrote:

> Team:
>
> I installed an HP DDS-4 SCSI tape-drive to my existing Woody system.  Upon
> the reboot, the startup messages showed that it was detected, but I guess
> the base install doesn't include support for it because:
>
> boulion:/cdrom# tar cvf /dev/st0 /home
> tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
> home/
> home/lost+found/
> home/madmac/
> home/madmac/.bashrc
> home/madmac/.bash_profile
> home/madmac/.xsession-errors
> tar: /dev/st0: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes
> boulion:/cdrom#
>
> So I assume I need to install a module for this.  My questions:

I think that is not the problem. If I try this on a machine without a
tapedrive, I get a 'no such device' error.
What does 'mt -f /dev/st0 status' report ?

Maybe you should try 'mt -f /dev/st0 setblk 10240' before the tar
command (the default tar blocksize is 10240 bytes)