Re: changing ip addresses or easy network configuration utility

This one time, at band camp, sandip said:
> hello all!
>
> i had made a small mistake while setting up debian 3.0. i had entered my
> machine's ip address (statically determined), and gateway address incorrectly.
>
> i have changed ip address and gateway entries in /etc/network/interfaces by
> hand!! *some satisfaction considering that i am a newbie*
>
> it seems to have worked. on restarting, i could connect to the net and i am
> able to send this mail from my linux box.
>
> now, i want to know if i need to change any other files for incorrect ip
> address and gateway. also let me know how does one change dns server numbers?
>
> is there any configuration utility that will do all this (ip address,
> gateway, netmask, dns server entries) for me?
>
> by the way, in the /etc/network/interfaces, there is an entry 'network'. this
> is after address and netmask entries. i do not know if i need to change it.
> or what does it mean. i had modified this also and nothing seems to be wrong.
> please let me know if i need to change this also or what does it mean.
>
> regards,
>
> sandip

/etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf take care of the vast
majority of your network configuration (resolv.conf lists your
nameservers for DNS).  You don't need to change other config files,
unless you have a proxy (most apps store proxy information
independently).

The 'network' entry in interfaces is the address for the network as a
whole.  If you're on a LAN (I'm guessing), you might have an IP like
192.168.1.12, a gateway at 192.168.1.1, and a network address of
192.168.1.0.  The broadcast address would be 192.168.1.255 (or some
subdivision thereof, depending on the size of the LAN), although that's
not something you'll generally need to worry about.

Some googling for network configuration can give you the details, but
broadly speaking, if you have set up the ip address, netmask, and
gateway correctly, as well as your DNS servers, you should be fine.  It
sounds like you have done so.

To answer your other question, IIRC there is a utility called etherconf
- it is a GUI frontend for editing those files.  I find it easier just
to edit by hand, but YMMV.

HTH,
Steve

--
Punishment becomes ineffective after a certain point.  Men become insensitive.
		-- Eneg, "Patterns of Force", stardate 2534.7