Re: your mail

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 09:57:23PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya kourosh..
>
> i dont know your config of your lan etc.. :-)>

Unless you have psychic powers I wouldn't think so ;-)

> - if buster was NOT forwarding, am thinking none of the machines
>   in the cluster would NOT a "ping www.yahoo.com" replies
> 	- but since one does work.. and another does not
> 	( its an ip# problem forwarding for that other private net
> 	( its the different ip# problem
>
> 	- you will get one that can ping and another that cannot ping
> 	  if the routing or gateway is wrong... thus our delima in here
>
> 	- or possibly other issues ... including "forwarding" but
> 	i think that is unlikely since one(other than buster) works

I agree, except it's my understanding that bilbo, the machine that can
ping the Internet, is not on the cluster side of the network, but on
the other, or as Dave calls it, the "home" side.  So if that's correct,
then the only machines that can't ping the Internet are on the cluster
network, behind buster.  Since buster can ping the "home" network, the
"cluster" network, and the Internet, that led me to believe that only
forwarding is the problem with that machine.

Of course, I could still be wrong =)

> - funny part... i think we can both fix it in a jippy if we could
>   fiddle with the boxes.. :-)
> 	"tech support via email"... humm .. what a novel concept... :-)
> 	ssh into the problem box is easier..

Much easier! =)

> have fun
> alvin