Re: pine binaries, and pico

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 irvine@vuosaari.hai.fi wrote:
>
> > Hello All
> >
> > At http://www.braincells.com/open/ I notice that there
> > are binaries for sid and potato but not for woody. Does
> > anyone know where I could get binaries for woody or does
> > one have to compile pine.
> >

> The sid ones should work without problems but if you don't mind waiting a
> while, pine 4.50 will be out any day now.  When I debianize that, I'll
> make packages especially for woody.

Jaldar, I still get the following error on woody systems:

dpkg --configure pico
Setting up pico (4.44L-1) ...
update-alternatives: unable to make /usr/man/man1/editor.1.gz.dpkg-tmp a symlink
to /etc/alternatives/editor.1.gz: No such
file or directory
dpkg: error processing pico (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
  pico

I read recently the problem may be in update-alternatives, although
/usr/man/ clearly does not exist and yet it gets invoked in postinst:

#!/bin/sh
set -e
update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/editor editor /usr/bin/pico 40 \
  --slave /usr/man/man1/editor.1.gz editor.1.gz /usr/man/man1/pico.1.gz

  # Automatically added by dh_installmenu
  if [ "$1" = "configure" -a -x /usr/bin/update-menus ]; then update-menus ; fi
  # End automatically added section
  # Automatically added by dh_installdocs
  if [ "$1" = "configure" ]; then
          if [ -d /usr/doc -a ! -e /usr/doc/pico -a -d /usr/share/doc/pico ];
		  then
		                  ln -sf ../share/doc/pico /usr/doc/pico
						          fi