Re: Viewing avi files

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 18:19:21 +0200
Tinus Kotzé <13596128@sun.ac.za> wrote:

> I am personally using Xine, but have also used aviplay. Both is part of
> the Debian dists. Xine looks nicer and can play most video formats, but
> aviplay is less resource intensive and can play dix4(i heard also divx5
> with correct codecs).
>
> I think aviplay comes under the package avifile. It also includes
> compressing and recording utils.
>
> Greetings
> Tinus
>
> On Wednesday 02 October 2002 18:01, bob parker wrote:
> > Using Woody.
> > Please advise what program to view avi files
> > Thanks
> > Bob

Also xanim and xanim-modules (both in non-free or contrib I forget which).
The problem is that avi (like mpeg) covers a multitude of sins -- some
codecs are
supported by xine and not xanim and others vice-versa and probably some by
neither (possible even some by both).

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering