Re: The Real Problem With Debian

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 09:28:57AM +1000, David Pastern wrote:
> 1.  Debian is not an easy distribution to work with - i'm finding this out
> myself.  And i've semi-used rh on and off since rh 5.2.  It's only since
> i've started using Debian that i've taken Linux seriously, with the aim of
> having everything set up on it so that I can discard Windows, or at least
> have a smallish windows partition purely for games that wine etc won't play
> on Linux.

I simply don't understand the statement "Debian is not an easy
distribution to work with".  It is so much easier than really any system
I've ever used (and that's a long list).  Debian does so much to make
the user's life easier, and does a very good job of it.  Think of things
like the menu system, the alternatives system, apt*, make-kpkg (and how
well it works with all the kernel patch and module packages), equivs,
alien, tasksel, etc.  The list really goes on and on.  These are
features that other systems either don't have at all or just recently
introduced.

Say that Debian has a steep learning curve if you want, I won't
necessarily disagree with that.  But don't say that it's hard to work
with.  That's insulting to me and to other developers who put a lot of
time and energy in to making Debian as consistant, powerful, and easy to
use as it is.  If you refuse to take the time to learn it, well, you
lose.  But that's not because Debian is hard to work with.

noah (who swore he wouldn't ever get involved in this kind of thread)