Re: eip c0111e88 not tainted

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 01:08:27PM +0200, Yildiz, Murat wrote:

> Hi,
> what to do if the eip number after a crash is not listed within "ksyms -a".

It won't necessarily be - unless the crash occured in the first
instruction in a function. Usually they wont. But the eip number should
be able to tell you which function it occured in.

> What does "not tainted" mean?Does this point to a kernel bug?How to track
> these errors?

Pleaseputsomespacesinbetweenthequestions :-)

not tainted = everything loaded into the kernel is GPL (or
GPL-compatible). This is important for the kernel hackers, as it is very
difficult to debug a problem without having full access to the source.

Kernel bug? Possibly. Could also be flaky hardware (e.g. overclocking).

How to track these errors?

Have a look at the kernel source tree - especially these files:
    Documentation/BUG-HUNTING
    Documentation/oops-tracing.txt
    REPORTING-BUGS

> Or should I ask this to the kernel maillist?

That would probably be a better place for this sort of questions, as
they are not debian-specific.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com