Re: LDAP address book - where to start?

Erik Steffl said:
>   I'd appreaciate an advice on where to start when I want to have LDAP
> based address book that can be accessed from various mail clients, at
> least mozilla mail client (mutt, evolution a plus). a web interface
> would be nice. any hints on where to look, which one to use etc.
>
>   TIA!
>
>   (I use unstable)
>
>   btw I checked howtos (searched www.linuxdoc.org), I found some info
> there but it's kinda scattered so I would appreciate some pointers...

I wrote up a detailed ldap HOWTO and posted it on my site:

http://howto.linuxpowered.net/ldap/ldap.html

it is a bit overkill for just an address book but it can give you
an understanding of LDAP, how to install it, how to configure it
etc. I reccomend LDAP explorer for database maintainence. The information
is there to setup a directory which supports email clients but the
information in there is a lot more then most email clients use(it won't
hurt anything though). It's pretty easy once you understand the basics
behind LDAP and how to manage it(what my doc hopefully explains).

I wrote it because, like you said theres not much out there, it took
me several months to build up the knowledge so I could write that
document.

hope it helps!

nate