quake/RTCW firewall rules

Hello

I was trying to run a RTCW(quake 3) server behind my firewall last night. I
setup the firewall iptable rules
to forware udp packets of 27690(from memory) to my server.  My friend and I
were able to play
but he said his connection was very poor.  I have a 768/128K dsl line and I
realize my upstream
connection is not that great but I figured we should have been able to play
ok.

Also, I tried to run just a dedicated server and he said the connection was
equally as bad.

I have p3 1.2Ghz 512Meg machine.  My firewall is a p1 200Mhz and it does
nothing but
serve as a firewall.

Any idea what would be the problem?  Do I have to configure the firewall
for tcp ports
as well?

JD