Re: Defeting Crappy Bios

on Mon, Sep 30, 2002, TooMany Mirrors (gnudebian@hotmail.com) wrote:
> There is nothing more that can be done in the bios as far as adding
> the cdrom etc. It is how it is and my only options right now are to
> figure out how to install linux after booting to a win98 floppy. :( I
> also fdisked the whole disk, so most of the "bios" features required
> the hardrive stuff which is no longer there. If I boot to a Debian
> floppy it just cycles the rebooting right after the Compaq splash
> screen.

Some Compaqs (and I think yours is a later date, but I could be wrong)
had part of the "BIOS" on a hidden partition on the HD.  Deleting this
is Not Good.  OTOH, if all you did was fdisk the system, you should be
able to restore it with the right partition specs, if you can get these
anywhere.

If you can boot MS Legacy MS Windows to a DOS mode, you can bootstrap
GNU/Linux via LOADLIN.EXE.  Google for further info.

Peace.

    Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay
    any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's
    doing it that way."
     -- Andrew Grygus  http://www.aaxnet.com/