Re: Woody Installation Problems II

This one time, at band camp, Daniel Fabian said:
> > > I'm still trying to install Debian on my lapdog.
> >
> > I want to see a picture of that! ;-)
>
> uups, now that I come to think of it, I could imagine a couple of nasty
> remarks :) (like: Are you sure your dog is on the debian hcl?)
>
> > Does the whole machine hang (numlock not reacting, ...) or does the
> > installation just stop?
>
> It hangs completly. No numlock, no CTRL-ALT-DEL, just the power switch.
>
> > - From what you write, it sounds like there was something terribly wrong
> > in software-hardware interaction. Perhaps try to break out of the
> > installation process and deselect esound-common manually so that it
> > doesn't get installed. You are unlikely to need it anyway.
>
> Either my laptop is terribly wrong, or debian. Following your tip, I
> deselected esound common. Now the computer hangs at "Setting up cxref" (at
> least without that terrible beeping...).
>
> Any more ideas? Otherwise I'm afraid I'll give up :-(.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

Don't do that just yet, you can still teach an old lapdog . . . no, no,
I'll stop the bad punning.  cxref is a program to generate Latex and
HTML docs from C source code, and it seems unlikely that you'll actually
need it.  dselect it as well.

The other thing that you might want to try doing, since these things
keep locking up your box, is take a look at the install messages
(Console 3, IIRC) to look for errors while it's going on.  It may be
that you have hardware problems (bad RAM ,etc.) or that your hardware is
too old (not enough RAM, too sluggish a CPU, etc.), although I would
think that the second case wouldn't lock, just take so long that you
would think it had.

I'm afraid I missed the beginning of this thread, so other people may
have given you this advice already, but here's a few things to try.

Look up your laptop on http://linux-laptop.net (although they seem to be
down at the moment )^8 ) to see if there's any known issues with it.  If
there's not anything outstandingly difficult, try again, but choose a
very minimal install at first - this'll give you a (hopefully)
functional system that you can then add to, and at least see the error
messages when it fails.  This is what I had to do with my laptop (an old
Thinkad) because there are some problems with the sound card.  You ave
to use a workaround, well documented, but I couldn't set it up until I
had an installed system, but I couldn't install the system because it
kept hanging . . . you get the picture.  The very minimal install
approach worked for me, though.

Good luck,
Steve

--
"It's not just a computer -- it's your ass."
-- Cal Keegan