Re: Apt's sources.list has line-length limit 299

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 13:48:38 -0400, Jameson C. Burt <jameson@coost.com> wrote:
> "apt-get update"
> hangs with no response when I add a line anywhere in
>    /etc/apt/sources.list
> that is greater than 299 characters.
>
> Specifically, I added the following 308-character commented line to aid my choice of Debian sites
> [the line-continuation characters were not originally present and this
> had at most one contiguous space],
> # fping  -c 3   ftp.egr.msu.edu  carroll.aset.psu.edu \
>    mirror.cs.wisc.edu  mirror.csit.fsu.edu   umn.dl.sourceforge.net \
>    unc.dl.sourceforge.net  telia.dl.sourceforge.net  debian.teleglobe.net \
>    mirrors.xmission.com  ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu  debian.uchicago.edu \
>    debian.fifi.org  ftp.silug.org  debian.tod.net
> After removing the last "debian.tod.net", this line had but 292
> characters, so  "apt-get update" would no longer hang.
>
> I run Debian woody 3.0, with all packages upgraded as of 9/26/2002,
> including apt version 0.5.4 .
>
> Oh, I see this remains an outstanding apt bug-report filed May 13, 2002,
>    #146846

Actually, this seems to be have been fixed in cvs. See

http://cvs.debian.org/apt/apt-pkg/sourcelist.cc?cvsroot=APT+%28%2Fcvs%2Fdeity%29

Revision 1.24 on Mon Jul 8th 2002 says "Don't die if lines in
sources.list are too long. Closes: #146846". Doesn't seems to be
documented in the main changelog though.

0.5.5 has been in cvs now for over a year, and the changelog keeps
getting longer. Does anyone have any idea when they are planning to
release?

                                                            Faheem.