funky lockup

Heya all..

Every so often, my sound will lock up - sometimes the sound will lock up
the whole system and I will have to power cycle or ssh in and kill off
all my X processes..  This happens almost without fail (If I leave an
mp3 playing for an entire day, it will hang).  Also, sometimes the im
sounds from gaim will screw it up and it will just echo the first
fraction of a second (im thinking maybe whatever portion is buffered)

I'm using GNOME2 (only as of a few days ago - this problem has been
ongoing for months) with esound.  the 'esd' process tends to lock up the
emu10k1 driver (i.e. i can kill xmms, i can kill esd, but i cannot rmmod
emu10k1 to try and re-init the sound card).

I beleive the problem persists without esound/esd..

I'm running Debian/sid (kernel 2.4.18) on a system with:

2xCeleron 533 (Abit BP6)
384MB PC100
Adaptec 2940U2W + 9GB (root/home/main fs) + 8x4x24 CDRW
46GB ATA/66
SBLive!
3Dfx Voodoo3 3500TV (AGP)

Thanks in advance for any help!