latex2e.fmt not found by xemacs

Hi:

  I an using sarge and I upgraded yesterday. In xemacs latex2e
  Interactive works, but latex2e does not. So I linked, in /usr/bin/
  latex2e to tex, and copied /usr/share/texmf/web2c/latex.fmt to
  latex2e.fmt, ran texconfig
  but when I click on latex2e in xemacs, it cannot find
  latex2e.fmt.  I get the same message when I run latex2e file
  from the command line. When I copied latex2e.fmt to the directory
  in which the tex file was, it works. So clearly, this is a path
  problem.  I believe I did the same thing a few months ago
  on the other machine that
  I have (sarge, but not upgraded froma few months), and there I don't
  have any difficulty.

  I am puzzled that there is a path problem, because I thought texconfig
  would look after this.

  Any suggestions?

  Thanks.

  Sebastian