From: Oliver Fuchs [mailto:oliverfuchs1@gmx.de]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 10:04 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Setting up Sendmail

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Michael Olds wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Woody.
>
> I am having some difficulty getting Sendmail up and running.
> I installed the program apparently with no problems. I ran: sendmailconfig
> after the install, also apparently no problems, no errors reported. But
> nothing works either. So I looked in /etc/mail/ and there is no
sendmail.cf
> so I tried running sendmailconfig again and it asked if it should
configure
> using the existing sendmail .conf and I said yes. And it reported there
was
> no /usr/sbin/update_conf which there isn't as it's in /usr/share/sendmail/

It is a bug ... you first have to cd in the directory
/usr/share/sendmail and then run sendmailconfig.

> (Question one: could I just move it to where it wants?)
>
> There is no existing sendmail.conf in /etc/mail/ either.
>
> When I tried to create a sendmail.cf using:
>
> cd /etc/mail
> m4 /usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 I first got a permission denied and saw
> that the files in /m4/ were all marked non executable. I marked them
> executable but I am not sure if that was the right thing to do.

You can copy the example sendmail.mc and submit.mc from
/usr/share/sendmail/cf/debian/ to your /etc/mail directory (and of
course edit them) and then run
m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf (the same for the
submit file). Then cd to the /usr/share/sendmail directory and run
sendmailconfig (I think it has to be run as root).

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang-bang fruit