RE: smb.conf on Debian

David,

Not that I am aware of by default in Debian.  RedHat, however, installs
ipchains (7.2) and iptables (7.3) which do have default rules to block
inbound netbios.

A few other things to check then:

do you have the following entriess in smb.conf?

[global]

encrypt passwords = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

How are you planning on authenticating the users, through an NT PDC or on a
per user basis?  If on a per user basis, have you added the accounts with
smbpasswd -a "username" ?

Barry deFreese
NTS Technology Services Manager
Nike Team Sports
(949)-616-4005
Barry.deFreese@nike.com

"Technology doesn't make you less stupid; it just makes you stupid faster."
Jerry Gregoire - Former CIO at Dell