Re: workstations syslogging to server

D. J. Bolderman said:

> Well... I've installed syslog-ng on my server, and i've edited my
> syslog-ng.conf file. My server logs are now appearing in /var/log-ng, and
> I don't think that's right ??

that is right, if thats where you want them. thats where my syslog-ng.conf
tells the daemon to store them. you can store them anywhere just change
the path in syslog-ng.conf(I guess you didn't even read the file:) ). I
prefer to store them in /var/log-ng to avoid interference from other
system utilities that may otherwise screw with the logs.

> Also, I modified my client's syslog.conf with *.* <tabs> @my.log.server
> but the logs are not arriving. I restarted klogd and sysklogd, and they
> are running, but no logs are being sent to my server.

as someone else reccomended, try the 'logger' program(neat program,
I had not heard of it before). depending on the kind of event will
depend on what file it ends up in, you may want to install the
xtail package to monitor all the logs at once. and at least on my
freebsd system I have to start syslog-ng BEFORE i start the local
syslog daemon otherwise the local syslog daemon takes over the port
and syslog-ng cannot bind to it.

OH, and in the syslog-ng.conf at the top note it is configured to
bind to a specific IP address, if you did not change that to fit
your network then of course it won't work.

nate