Thank-You Steve Hunger for your Book!

Hi,
After many years of procrastinating on installing Debian,
I finally took the time to install it. I want to thank Steve
for wrriting the book "Debian GNU/Linux Bible".I used
the cd that came with the book.
Now I need a little help. I'm trying to get GNOME up
and running.When I type the command gnome-session
I get the following error-

Gtk-WARNING can not open display
Session_Manager =local/magic:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1019,tcp/magic:3068
Gtk-WARNING xx: cannot open display

I'am able to startx. The window manager that I'm using with X
is twm. Do I have to have IceWMGNOME as a window
manager?
later-
Wayne